Morning News, July 23

Conspiracy stories rampant! We have three choices: laugh at them (and thus add to our cynicism), immerse ourselves in them (and thus add to our anger), or consider them distractions and wait for the truth to come out over time.  The 24/7 news cycle has to be fed; as I've often said, in the absence of information (and the information people want), things get made up or at least embellished wildly. 

For some of us, we just wait for the next thing to stoke our need for distraction.  

Traveling friend and I drove two hours to Murphy, NC, to visit an amazing place, the John C. Campbell Folk School.  I want to read about it some more before I post anything of depth, but I will say this: the folks that work there were hospitable and kind and excited about what they do, and that means a great deal. I interviewed some of them for my podcast.  Shout out! Also drove through beautiful north Georgia and Western North Carolina, stopped for peaches at Mercier's Orchard in Blue Ridge (second shout out!) and today I am exhausted. 

I often pray for the church in the U.S. to repent of its love of money, sex, and power: i.e., its materialism (which leads to lack of generosity for the truly poor), its emotional and sometimes physical dalliances with sexual immorality, and its idolatry of politics and political figures.  As important as that is, there has to be the balance. We repent so we can love, love correctly, love fully.  I've been only half right. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Annie Dillard on Writing Advice and Some Observations