Morning News, August 7: Firsts and lasts

Scripture for today: Romans  8:15:  For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

To match with I Timothy 1:7:  for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 

Need I write more? Why is fear paralyzing us? Fear over everything and so many things that do not seem worthy of it? 

My granddaughter turned 7 months yesterday! I had to stop by to see her during a frustrating (due to traffic) trip to Chattanooga from Dalton and back. She was experiencing a new thing: playing with oatmeal.  It was her first experience with oatmeal, which had no sugar or salt. That sounds unappealing but I understand the reasoning. For her, it was more about the texture and swallowing. She actually did swallow a little bit of it, but more was on her and the little desk of her high chair. Her parents were letting her feed herself; I think I was a bit more pushy with her father when we started cereals (that is, I fed him).

I was on TV yesterday, or was taped for a TV interview on a local program. 

My publisher has sold her business to another person I know. We will see what happens. Until I get out of this writing rut, it's a bit of a moot point. 

Kamala picked Tim Walz. Two thoughts: he's not a Jew, and he looks pretty normal Midwestern. The right-wing pundits say he's a leftist nightmare. He seems like a nice enough guy, and he was in the reserves and a schoolteacher. But . . . his positions are problematic for me.  I don't think it's going to win her many votes, more like a safe pick with her base. 

Classes start Monday! My last fall in the classroom. Yesterday was my last orientation as a chair.  I will be facing a lot of Lasts as my granddaughter experiences her firsts. Glorious. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Annie Dillard on Writing Advice and Some Observations