Blogging practice

Two items today: Visiting family at Christmas and the nature of blogging

We returned yesterday from visiting my husband's family out of state, about four hours away by interstate. It went better than I expected due to the large number of people getting together and the generally bad experiences we have had in the past. My husband's family, like many, can be a cantankerous bunch, and it's exacerbated by chronic unemployment, drinking problems, failed marriages, deaths, children out of wedlock, illnesses and disabilities, and enabling. Humph. Is there a family in America that doesn't have one, several, or all of these?

The interim pastor at our church said a couple of weeks ago, "My favorite lights at Christmas are the taillights on the cars of my relatives leaving after Christmas visits." And as the old saying goes, After three days, fish and house guests . . . So we stayed exactly 72 hours (73 maybe) and three nights. And we were probably as happy to leave as they were to see us go. As Dorothy says, There's no place like home.

Anyway, I can blog here, which brings us to the second point. I heard a radio speaker (Moody network) talk about using one's blog for ministry purposes. How I would love to do so, but I don't think in bullet points. That is, I find it very difficult to condense the advice, what little I would give, into three or four bullets. But as I want this blog to be entertaining and edifying, here goes: In terms of family at Christmas:
1. If possible, no more than one family of houseguests at a time. Spread the wealth to nearby relatives, or use a hotel.
2. If you are a guest, get off your rear and help. Your relatives are not running a spa resort.
3. Take the hosts out to dinner at least once.
4. Plan activities with kids (even if they are 19).
5. Accept the fact that not everyone is like you. They don't like your TV shows, your movies, your smoke. We are not our behaviors and TV shows and perfumes, so keep opinions to yourself. You're a short-term guest and short-term host.
6. For goodness sake, get out of your me-box and look for the good in people, even if they are a relative. Have fun, play Jenga. Look at old pictures. Sing karaoke together (without the liquor stimulation).
7. The hardest time is with relatives of different faiths, or no faiths. That's a book that needs to be written!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?