Presidential politics

I am a political junkie. I'm loving this race; there's so many personalities and so much drama (which rhymes with Obama). Unfortunately, the most qualified Democrat quit today, and I'm sorry. He was too real to be elected. And John Kerry--talk about lacking loyalty. He couldn't even endorse his own past running mate. That's just tacky.

It is hard not to post on Obama. But I'm not Ann Coulter (heaven help us, she is mean, but funny at times). Let's just say he was snarky to Hillary the other night in the ABC debate, and should have shown more respect. I'm not one of those, "OOOHHH, he's really a closeted Muslim, blah, blah, blah." I just think there's not much there, despite his great speaking (and yes, for someone who teaches history of public speaking, it is nice to see a presidential candidate who really can do oratory.) But I may be wrong, and he may be president, and I would say, while it's a logical fallacy to vote for someone just because of race or gender, it's about time an African-American was seriously in the running, something more overdue than a woman being in the running.

So on to Hillary. As a student of gender communication, I have finally gotten past my extreme dislike of her personally and felt some empathy. She knows more than those other two guys, she does her homework, she talks about something. But that's not going to be enough. It's never enough for a woman to be the smartest and most qualifed. Stupid comments are made about her just because she's a woman. But she's like the valedictorian in high school no one wants to be date. Don't get me wrong though; I wouldn't vote for her in a million years. (Well, maybe in a million. Her opponent would have to be Ron Paul.)

Like the joke I heard recently. Chelsea Clinton was visiting Iraq, and a soldier there said, "There are three things I fear--Osama, Obama, and yo' mama!"

John Edwards? Like I heard a commentator say, he's just angry. It may be about his wife's illness. I can appreciate his fight for the working class and middle class; those are my roots. And he's honest about being against gay marriage instead of kissing up about it. And as one of my students said, "he's pretty." (Almost as pretty as Mitt Romney, who, I'm sorry, is really a handsome man, even if that's all I can say for him.) But Edwards just doesn't have the money. If I were a Democrat, I'd support him, but as the profile on this blog says, I'm a conservative, well, kind of.

What about the Republicans? That's for another post. I am an intellectual conservative. I believe in Republican principles but not in Republican politicians, and there's a big difference there. (Need I say Larry Craig?) I'm a fiscal and social conservative but libertarian on some issues and liberal on the environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?