Systematic Theology

Since 1976 I have been aware of and sometimes embroiled in the typical controversy of Calvinism/Arminianism (as if a Christian had to be one or the other), also known as the sovereignty of God vs. free will of man controversy (and who would win in that debate?) Why do people who hold to election say that they are Calvinists, when they have never read the Institutes and probably would have been imprisoned or executed in Calvin's Geneva?

I think it's silly for us to be using these terms and discussing doctrines as if (1) we had really studied them, (2) just because it was a theologian's position in the 16th century doesn't make it the end-all and be-all, and (3) we had to be so dichotomous about such positions. As I have noted in my former comments about conversativism, one should not have to lockstep. Critical thinking means nuance is necessary. I don't believe the Bible teaches Calvinsim nor do I believe that the Bible teaches against the foreknowledge and election of God or the total inability of men and women to initiate a relationship with God.

Baptists forget they were reformed at one point and closer to Calvinism than not, and I will always fall on the side of grace in any argument. But 450 years is long enough to be beholden to a Frenchman! A man can be brilliant and still be wrong, can contribute great ideas and yet not see the total picture. I think we would do better to approach the Bible with eyes not tainted by preconceived theologies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?