Turning Points (and no more talking points)

Last night marked an hour (or evening) of decision for me, related to TV. Like any baby boomer, TV is the warp and woof of my life. It just is; even when we decide to change our viewing habits, we know it's there, bigger and stronger than it ever was. We know our choice to boycott or turn it off really won't make any difference to anyone else, only to ourselves. But that is enough.

Specifically--it was the season finale of LOST, and anyone who reads this blog or knows me outside of my church self knows I'm a LOST nut. My husband makes fun of me, and the show. It is incredibly convoluted, and those of us who talk about it probably sound like cult members. But last night was the last night for me. No, I'll still watch next year's shows, but probably online. I'm not going to make time for it based on ABC's scheduling decisions.

That's not to say that I was disappointed. I felt like the plotlines I cared about were resolved. But the science fiction elements, if that's what they are, were not the plotlines I cared about. I mean, come on, Ben moves the island by pushing a big frozen cog? What is that about? We know what has happened. I just don't care if the characters all go back. Why would anybody in their right mind do that? And then there will be more of BEN (reminds me of the old movie about the rat), and while the actor is very good, I detest that character. And I'm glad Locke was in the coffin, or his evil twin. And that Penny and Desmond were reunited (Desmond was a good character). And that Sawyer turned out to be the good guy (he's a great character, played well, with the best lines.) And I'm sorry Jin died, but I'm ambivalent about Michael. So, enough.

But LOST is only part of it. I also tune in to watch the O'Reilly Factor and Hannity and Colmes, although in the case of the latter, it was more habit, a nasty one, than for information's sake. But I'm turning FOX News off. O'Reilly went ballistic last night, and I don't have to watch maniacs. I feel very strongly about civil discourse and debate in this country, and that was the opposite. So, enough.

But that doesn't mean I'll watch MSNBC or even CNN (maybe some). I'm still reeling from the fact that Israel celebrated its 60th anniversary and it got barely a mention in the mainstream media. They obviously do not get it, or choose not to get it, or do get it and don't want anyone to know. Israel's existence is such a miracle. Here is a democracy (though it could do better on some civil rights issues), a prosperous one, that was created against all odds and survives surrounded by enemies, and the only thing we hear is snarky remarks about Bush's speech (which is interpreted as snarky remarks about Obama. Actually, although I agree with Bush, it was pretty clearly aimed at Obama, but heh, since when is he above criticism?)

I am reminded of the weekend John Kennedy, Jr., died due to his own negligence, in a plane crash. Hours open hours of coverage. Why? Because it made any difference to any of us? Because we can't handle "real news?" Because the MSM has to serve itself to the Kennedy establishment or whatever it represents? Because they really believe the Kennedys are American royalty? (My students this last semester were not in on that mythology.)

TV News is simply laughable in terms of objectivity, completeness, editorial content, or quality of writing. I have a stack of twenty books by my bed to read; I have a novel to finish and others to start; I have people who need communicating with, Sunday School members who need encouragement, a Teaching and learning center to run, and far more. I can now save two or more hours a night and my sanity, and I can get my news from the Internet, which allows more variety. I wish I had back the years I have wasted watching bad television. So, enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?