Joe the Plumber and Stevie Ray Vaughn

I am amazed how a chance encounter and soundbite can turn into a mainstream media frenzy. I can't wait to see what SNL does with Joe the Plumber. Poor guy. I heard on NPR that he owes back taxes to the state of Ohio. Why can't the media leave the guy alone. Do you lose all your privacy rights because you happen to ask a presidential candidate a question? Good grief.

I think the reason the media has gone after him is that he dared to question Barack Obama's ridiculous claims that a. only people making over 250,000 will pay more taxes, and b. he was going to reduce taxes for 95% of the American people, a pretty good trick when 30% of them do not even pay income taxes. Joe doesn't want to spread the wealth. Joe doesn't want to show his patriotism by paying more taxes.

So, driving home from work tonight, listening to NPR make fun of Joe the Plumber (I doubt anyone on NPR could fix a toilet, a truly practical ability, far more than snarky journalism), I turned them off and listened to a CD of Steve Ray Vaughn my husband just mixed for me. I fell in love. Clapton and King might be better, but maybe not. The first song on the CD was taxman:

let me tell you how it will be theres one for you nineteen for me cause im the taxman yeah im the taxman should five per cent appear too small be thankful i dont take it all cause im the taxman yeah im the taxman if you drive a car ill tax the street...

What gall for the government and those who run it to take my hard earned money (and I work hard for the money--I defy anyone to say I don't) for anything other than to build roads and bridges, run schools, and protect the country.

How we need fiscal responsibility from everyone in this country! Driving down I-75 today a Hummer passed me, a huge yellow tank, with a vanity tag reading "I Need." How symbolic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?