Thoughts from Samuel 1 and 2

UnitedStatesians say "Second Samuel." UKers says "Two Samuel." I wonder why. It's really all one book, anyway, which I'll refer to as "Samuel."

Samuel must have been inspiration for a lot of Shakespeare. David and Saul's struggle is mythic and yet very modern. I can see it happening in corporate America.

The last twelve chapters or so are real downers, but there are some bright spots. Barzillai, the story of the three loyal men sneaking into Bethlehem to get David some water (which he offers to the LORD instead of drinking himself, which a modern would find rude but really isn't), and the encounter with Araunah the Jebusite. "I will not sacrifice to the Lord that which costs me nothing." That is a life verse if there ever was one.

Of course, there is also Bathsheba, Absalom, Amnon and Tamar, the census of the people, Joab's shenanigans, and the fellow's head being thrown over the wall. Rough times.

Speaking of rough times, our new pastor this morning spoke about how he and his wife lost their home and belongings, everything, in Katrina. He showed a video. It was startling, saddening. I asked the Lord to bless us with less. Less is more. Not that level of less, but less all the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?