Reflection on a Dull Day

Today's weather was fit for the mood the economy has put everyone in. Not cold but dark clouds. I went for my walk at Camp Jordan (a two-mile trail around the recreational fields in East Ridge, TN) and was reminded that each day is filled with wonders.

The pond near the arena still had some ice on it (odd when it was 59 degrees outside). Because no one was fishing, the area was flush with birds. Canadian Geese (watch your step), white ducks and mallards, seagulls (yes, seagulls hundreds of miles inland--they come up the barges on the Tennessee River. We have them all over the place). But one caught my eye was a long-legged, slate gray-blue, graceful, elusive heron.

I stalked him, and got within twenty feet, but he escaped me and my ineffectual camera phone, only to fly to the other side of the pond. He wasn't about to let this intrusive human keep him from his dinner.

According to Wikipedia, he and his kind are not in danger of extinction, and cover the United States. Good. Another thing to be thankful for.

Personally, I think the economic conditions are
1. not as bad as the media keeps telling us (but that's easy for me to say, my job is not in jeopardy)
2. due to poor management more than anything else
3. a course correction. I mean, how many things can people own? We reached critical mass on junk.
4. not comparable to the Depression of the thirties for several reasons, and I'm tired of being told it is. I was in WalMart today and saw scores of grossly overweight people. When they start disappearing, I'll believe we're in a Depression.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?