Liberals are Evil

Hey, did that get your attention?

Of course I don't believe that. It is my poor attempt at irony. Or do I?

There are liberals, and then there are liberals. I consider myself a classic liberal--of the 18th century! But not a liberal of the 20th or 21st. Ideas have consequences, and words mean something. Or do they? A modern liberal may disagree with that view; it's definitely "conservative," whatever that means.

Which is my point. These two terms, liberal and conservative, mean very little of substance any more; neither do left or right. I want to know specifics about policies, which will get us past these counterproductive labels.

Follow this through to theological terms. I just read an interview with Rob Bell, an emergent church pastor of a large congregation; therefore, he's pretty good at what he does, i.e, getting a lot of people to come to his church. For the life of me, he said a lot of double-talk, but it sounded passionate and compassionate. A lot about feeling. Young people, I know, like feeling. They say, "I feel like" and "I feel that" more than "I came to the conclusion. . . "

So what does this man teach and believe, in specific, nonslippery terms, and more to the point, what does one believe when one believes the gospel of Christ?

It's one thing to lack the vocabulary and education to express oneself clearly. At least those people know they are deficient. It's another when an educated spokesperson obfuscates (I love that word) to be perceived as erudite, or compassionate, or tolerant, or even worse, speaking for God.

Back to the title of this post. Liberals are evil if they think evil ideas with evil consequences, and if they use ad hominem freely, and if they lie for political gain. So are conservatives who, supposedly having the right ideas, cannot trust the ideas to defend themselves and therefore resort to the same invective and nonsense that the Jeanane Garofolos and Joy Behars and Bill Mahers do. I am of the opinion that these I have named will say anything because their world view is on shifting sand and they have lost their moral compass. Conservatives don't have that option if they are true to their worldview, but most of the spokespersons for conservatives are more concerned about the next buck than principle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?