So Many Books, So Little Time

One thing I have set out to do, since this summer is not as burdensome as those of the past, is to read a great deal. So what am I reading now?

1. George Marsden's biography of Jonathan Edwards. Very readable, and from an evangelical mindset. I am reading it because my overall reading pattern is on American political thought, and I consider Edwards to have had more political consequences than religious.

2. Strangers in High Places, by Michael Frome, on Appalachia/Smokey Mountains. I plan to write a novel on Appalachia eventually, and need background.

3. P.D. James, The Private Patient. James is THE greatest mystery writer, in my opinion, so I have to read all of hers as they come out.

4. Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections. A little ponderous in style, but I'll get to it eventually.

5. Marilynne Robinson's The Death of Adam: Essays on Modern Thought. She's contrarian but good; a delectable writer, with sentences you can savor and chew on like the Panera tomato basil bread I bought yesterday. I didn't like Housekeeping as much as Gilead, and hope to read Home this summer.

6. The Imperial Presidency by Arthur Schlesinger. This will be interesting to see a more liberal view of things.

7. Sarah Palin's biography. Easy read, almost hagiography on someone I admire.

8. Why Golf, by Bob Cullen (the last two are in the bathroom).

9. I have recently finished Hush My Mouth (pure whimsy, Southern mystery fiction), Liberal Fascism, and some of Barbara Kingsolver's book on living on her farm.

10. For the summer I have to read three new textbooks and hope also to read the Federalist Papers along with other political science books. I also hope to finish my next novel, which will have nothing to do with my last three and will entail research about military families after WWII. I could never write a scholarly work; everything I read points me to something else, and that to something else, so I never feel that I can really get to an authoritative place. I do hope to write a book on political theory for educated Christian laypeople at some point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?