Bumper Sticker Thoughts

There was a bumper sticker I saw occasionally during the Bush administration: "Are you appalled yet?" or something to that effect. I would usually just roll my eyes, although the person had a point. There is, and has been, much to be appalled by in this world, and if we aren't appalled by it, something is wrong.

In terms of bumper stickers, I've noticed they have come back into vogue. It seemed that they went away for a while; my husband says it was because of the popularity of leased cars, which more or less prohibited bumper stickers. And maybe the new generation styles itself as a new type of hippie, and bumper stickers were really the thing in the 70s. So they are back to entertain, challenge, anger, and make those eyes roll.

I also notice that I see many more Obama/Biden stickers than I did before the election; I think many people got them after he won, not willing to commit before then. I even have to wonder how many who didn't vote for him, and wouldn't have under other circumstances, are sporting the stickers. Everybody loves a winner, eh? One blogger has pointed out that normally the running mate's name is the same size as the presidential candidate; this is never the case with Obama. His ego has to take up 60% or more of the sticker space, I suppose.

While I agree there were some things to be legitimately appalled by from 2001-2008, my capacity to be appalled has been pushed to the limit since November; I wonder how much of the American population is suffering from the deer in headlights phenomena, unable to fathom how this administration is trying to reconfigure what we always knew. Whether this is good or bad I will leave others to judge. I know only how I feel about it, which is angry for the most part, and a little hopeless at times. The hopelessness is salved by my faith in the American people but primarily Christ. But I must recognize that if my anger comes from feeling like my own position will be hurt, then that is wrong. If it comes from true concern about huge government and deficits, that's another.

I am more appalled by Hollywood and the media than Obama, really. Why can't Letterman keep his trap shut about Palin and her family? The man is psychotic. Why are comedians, etc. so obsessed with her? She scares the hell out of them, and I love it. As Dennis Miller says, I have to like her if for no other reason than that she is hated by people I disdain so much.

Boy, that was a rant, wasn't it, especially after my "spiritual" talk. But I'm too old to be polite and sweet where politeness and sweetness don't work or matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?