In Memoriam

This marks the passing of a supremely gracious man, James Rufus Faulkner. J.R. Faulkner married my husband and me on August 8, 1981, so that is sufficient enough for him to hold a special place in my heart. It was a crazy day with embarassing family members, but he was very kind about the whole thing.

Dr. Faulkner was the pastor or president, on and off, of Highland Park Baptist Church and Tennessee Temple. He was many more things, of course, just like everyone he was not definable by a job, but in J.R. Faulkner's case, it was more true. He was a golfer, poet, artist, mentor, songleader, husband and father of five sons who were all a credit to him. He was a humane person, which means much more to me than that he was a preacher. I don't hold preachers in high esteem if that's all they have going for them.

There is a wonderful youtube video of him and his wife in the nursing home; it's accessible by typing his name in the search engine there. I think he would have been perfectly happy that someone put the video on youtube; if he hadn't been blind he would have learned to use the computer himself.

The words a Rich Mullen song I've always liked seem appropriate here.

If I stand let me stand on the promise that you will pull me through;
and if I fall let me fall on the grace that first brought me to you.
If I sing let it be for the joy that has born in me these songs.
And if I weep let it be as a man who is longing for his home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?