Homage with an Egg

Last night a friend and I went to see "Julie and Julia" (or is it the other way around)? Meryl Streep can do no wrong as an actress in my opinion, and her portrayal of Julia Child walks the line of eccentricity not becoming parody. We got a big kick out of it, and it was wonderful how post WWII Paris was recreated. I am not a fan of French cooking (prefer Italian) but I enjoyed the movie.

No movie is perfect though. I think it's wrong to diss a movie because it's not perfect; in this case, the Julie is annoying and the husbands are too nice; I really can't imagine a husband putting up with Julie's project, nor can I believe she retained her size 2 figure with all that butter and red meat and whipped cream. Maybe she cooked it but didn't eat it, like a relative of mine used to do.

It did inspire me to cook something this morning for breakfast I haven't had since childhood--a poached egg. I boiled a pan of water and gently cracked the egg (which was not fresh by any means, since I got it from WalMart four days ago). It diffused into the water, but did cook, more or less. I scooped it out and finished the job in the microwave! (Poached eggs almost always have runny whites, but I can't deal with that, or with runny yolks, so it's back to scrambled for me).

In one scene in the movie, Julia Child is making her own mayonnaise. Back then, that was a necessity, but to me life is too short to make your own mayonnaise, especially when I can buy Duke's (the best). When I first got married I made my own jelly/preserves. At least I can say I know how, but I'd rather spend time with people or books than canning jars. My tribute to good eating will be having my own garden, eating local produce, and minimizing meat consumption. My garden is now moving toward retirement right now, but we are planning for next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?