No Fear

Wouldn't that be nice? The Bible contains the words "Fear Not" 63 times. But I don't think there's a place where people are condemned for their fear. They are held responsible for what they do because of their fear, but not reprimanded for their fear. Which is wonderful, when you think about it. God understands our frames, our weaknesses, and nothing reveals our human weakness like fear.

I taught Psalm 56 yesterday, or well, I tried to. I want my teaching to be at least one-third discussion, not me pontificating and bloviating. It's connected to David's feigning madness, a la Hamlet, in the Philistines' court, and the king getting disgusted with him. Not David's finest hours, to say the least. And here's the boy who stood up to Goliath, among other things--so why is he wimping out?

For the same reason we do. The strangest thing about fear is its inconsistency. David is clearly aware of his shortcomings here, so he gets the focus right. He says "I will" seven times. You can't talk yourself out of the fear, you can only decide what you're going to do about it. You make a decision. Fear is not always rational, as well as not being consistent. Of course, some fears make sense because real danger is involved. But some come from other sources and usually it's the lies we tell ourselves.

When I was going to graduate school in Atlanta, I had to drive home late at night over 100 miles. I started having panic attacks and was not feeling totally conscious. So I developed a great fear and an inability to drive on the interstate after dark (at 60 mph plus, surrounded by speeding transfer trucks). Even the distance between Chattanooga and Ringgold, not ten miles, was petrifying. This went on for over two years. This summer I began to be able to drive at night on the interstate, just a little bit. Of course, part of the problem comes from dried out contacts at that hour and the inability to see very well. But last night I drove home in the dark from Chattanooga, with no problems. It was sheer will. I don't enjoy it, but I can do it.

I admit to being a fearful and anxious person, but I am also strong willed. The main task involved in overcoming fear is to tell ourselves the truth. We are better at lying to ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?