News Flashes

Random comments from my life, posted here rather than Facebook, I suppose.

I watched an excellent old movie last night, The Country Girl. I always like William Holden movies, for some reasons, and Grace Kelly was so pretty and gracious I consider watching her like watching a work of art. But what got me was the portrayal of alcoholism. I know more about it than most people. I am an adult child of an alcoholic, and two of my brothers-in-law struggle with it. Alcoholism might be a disease, or have disease elements, but, sorry, it's a disease people partially choose, and I resist calling it a disease because that somehow excuses the awful, narcissistic, mean things alcoholics do to get that next drink. The drink is more important than a spouse, a child, God, or humanity. I am glad to say my father never sank to that level, but I've known others who did. At any rate, Bing Crosby often got it right in that movie and it kept me awake even to 2:00 a.m. (though I'm tired now).

My brother had open-heart surgery today. He is out now, and it was successful. I have been in denial. If something happened to him, I don't know what I would do.

I am reading Adriani Trigiani's latest book. Don't bother. Big Stone Gap was wonderful, a good example of a character one can care about. I don't care about this character, but the descriptions of fabrics are cool. I think that's one reason I watch Project Runaway--for the textiles. I worked in a fabric shop in college, and loved it.

I went to a mentoring meeting today, and ended up being mentored myself, especially in Spanish. My mentoring partner is bilingual, and we conversed. I need lots and lots of practice, and it wore my brain out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?