What's It All About?

I've been thinking about prayer lately. Well, I hope I have been doing more than thinking about it. That and meditation. I am doing a mini study using Cynthia Heald's book, Becoming a Woman of Prayer. It's pretty good, but I have come to the conclusion that . . .

. . . a lot of things we think we know about prayer, and that gets said about prayer, just ain't so.

One thing we don't need is another book about prayer. Nor do we need more guilt about prayer. Prayer should not be a guilt trip, a chore, a burden. If it's any of these, what's the point? Why should we have trouble talking to the Heavenly Father if we really believe all the things we say about his love and grace? If I've been told once about John Wesley praying 3 hours a day, I've heard it 1,000 times. Does that make a person pray more, because John Wesley did? He also rode thousands upon thousands of miles on horseback. The man had amazing stamina. And I doubt he would like to know he's being put up as the standard for the last 200 years!

No, prayer should be work, but it should be joyous work. We simply are too distracted in this world, distracted by good things that pull us away from the holy things, the best things.

A coworker wrote on her facebook page a while back that Facebook had suggested her daughter as her friend. Unfortunately, her daughter committed suicide in summer of 2008. I'm sure she's not the only person that happened to. That's what we get for trusting a technology rather than a person.

Why is Nidal Hassan still being called "the alleged shooter" in the Ft. Hood massacre?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?