Odd and Ends and Odd Ends

I heard on the radio news that Oral Roberts passed away. I can imagine there are wags saying “Why didn’t he heal himself?” He was an odd character, one of those holdovers from the early years of Pentecostalism.

I was watching an old movie with Agnes Moorehead the other night and read up on her on Wikipedia. She was actually “religious,” having been raised by a Presbyterian minister. She gave some land and other assets to Bob Jones University when she died.

That is particularly interesting since BJU probably preached against Bewitched all those years. I don’t imagine they advertised their legacy very much. However, BJU had an excellent theatre department, and probably still does, although it was very traditional. I assume that was the connection.

I would like to write a book one day about obituaries. Funerary practices in the U.S. are fascinating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?