Distrust

I rarely watch network TV (except for LOST, which is on tonight!!!), but I did watch 20/20 the other night on ABC. I caught the interview of Andrew Young and his wife. Of course, when I hear the name Andrew Young I always think of the civil rights leader, but this Andrew Young is no leader. At least neither he nor his wife defended what they did, which was pretty despicable.

What did they do? Cover for that sleazy John Edwards. Lied and said Andrew was the father of her baby. Keep the nut job Edwards was having an affair with under wraps (like she didn't plan on all this happening!) The interviewer (it's the gentleman who experienced so much brain injury in Iraq, and I'm glad to see he's back and working and sorry I can't think of his name) showed clip after clip of Edwards lying about the affair and the baby. Edwards convinced the Youngs to do this because (a) his wife was dying (supposedly) and (b) he was going to be president or vice president. Why did they want such a sleaze bag to be president in the first place.

As I've said many times before, the human ability to self-deceive knows no bounds. In discussing the book "Game Change" an NPR commentator stated that being president requires an almost (almost?) pathological ambition combined with zealous vision. But that and another related story got me also wondering if there is anybody in leadership who is trustworthy, Christian world included. The Bible implies that anyone wanting leadership probably doesn't need it (although it also says that to desire the office of a bishop is to desire a good thing, it doesn't say the person desiring it is necessarily a good person).

Right now what I'm reading: The College Fear Factor by Rebecca Cox; Jim and Caspar Go to Church; Calvin's Institutes (that one will take me a while). I recently finished a book edited by Mark Noll on the history of religion in the U.S., which was quite good from an academic perspective.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?