Gardening

I had planned to get my garden in this weekend. May not make it, but I'm hoeing now. It's about 200 square feet--not much, I know, but last year I learned what to do and what not to do. What not: cantaloupe and eggplant. Cantaloupe takes up too much space and eggplant just didn't grow, must be a soil thing, especially since the other things grew like crazy.

What: beans, squash (zucchini and crookneck, which I call duckhead to myself), cucumbers, lettuce, okra, peppers, and tomatoes (but they are on the side of the house to get maximum sun).

What I learned last year: you have to be after a garden every day--weeding, organic pesticide, water, fertilizing. You can't crowd (have made that mistake!). Don't buy dirt from Walmart. It's garbage. And okra reproduces like rabbits but gets really out of hand.

What I still need to figure out: lettuce.

I find gardening very satisfying, especially when the squash comes in and they surprise me--footlong green zucchini appearing what seems to be overnight. Nothing like picking a tomato off the vine for a sandwich.

My goal is to overproduce and give to a food bank. That might be overreaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?