A Nice Change

Because golf is a cult at my house, I have watched quite a bit of the Masters this week. Golf is limited as a spectator sport, and I'd rather play; if it weren't for the dangerously high pollen level right now, I'd be on the course. As it is, everyone is miserable with itching eyes, blurred vision, headaches, bloody noses, coughing, wheezing, and sneezing.

At any rate, I have to say two things about the Masters, and they are not at all original but are heartfelt.

The media is complicit in all of Woods faults. At one point, ESPN had as its headline: "Tiger in third place." The secondary point was actually who was winning. It was nauseating.

I felt marriage and commitment were affirmed by the winner and his reaction with his wife. It was quite touching. Phil may or may not be the best golfer, and maybe some of the others don't like him as much (but these are the same ones who covered for Woods); he was just the best this weekend. But his example of what a husband should be was heartening and maybe a few spectators will slough off their cynicism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?