Addendum to Yesterday

Ha! I have obviously gotten a laptop back!

I realized that part of the problem with our view of the Holy Spirit comes from the Apostle's Creed. The mention there of the Holy Spirit seems like an afterthought. I also realized that we treat the Holy Spirit like a servant--ours and God's. Wow. How did we get so far from understanding the Holy Spirit's role and place (I have a hard time putting a pronoun to the Holy Spirit, and definitely won't abbreviate.)

I am a fan of The Pragmatics of Human Communication by Watzlawick, Beavin, and Jackson. It's a must read for any student of communication. But notice the title, Human Communication. I bring this up because one of their axioms is that human communication is either complementary or asymmetrical. In other words, there is either equality or inequality in terms of power. We of course are mostly in asymmetrical relationships. Someone has higher status or power almost all the time. Therefore, it is hard for us to envision relationships that are complementary, equal in status but not in function. WE have this trouble in marriage. I think this is part of our problem with the Trinity. The relationship between the three persons of the Godhead is coequal but not always cofunctional, a word I made up.

However, I would be the first to say that if I meditate too much on the Trinity my head might explode and I might veer off into wrong doctrines. I am not rewriting The Shack, here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?