Musings

In my Franky planner this morning I found this quotation from someone named Paul Boese: Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.

Amen. Forgiveness has many names and faces, and has many misconceptions attached to it. Forgiveness does not make what is forgiven unimportant or ineffective or inconsequential. Everything still happened; "what happened, happened," to quote an enigmatic character on LOST. Everything still hurt. And it might still hurt some after forgiveness is granted. Forgiveness goes by the name of reconciliation, confrontation, absolution, atonement, propitiation, reparation, repentance (although these are not totally synonymous words). Lack of forgiveness is confining, controlling, enslaving, debilitating, disastrous. Lack of forgiveness is the root of bitterness, the seed of resentment.

I have had much to forgive in my life; I still am seeking to forgive it, because unlike for God, I think for humans forgiveness is more process than act; but that's just my idea. At one point you do step over the threshold to true freedom and then your future takes a different shape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?