It's Saturday morning, so......

That means time for some blog posts.

1. I finished two novels this week: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society was the first. Good read, ending a little creepy. I liked her epistolary technique (it's all written as letters). I may be the only one who thinks the ending is a little creepy or unbelievable.

2. Brava Valentine, an Adriana Trigiani novel; finished last night. It's ok, a beach read, tad trashy. She has a great eye for description, but the references to designers (furniture, clothing, handbags, etc.) and all the talk about shoes just gets to be too much. And in both her series (Big Stone Gap being the other), the main character is what my husband calls a "fag hag." Sorry--that's inappropriate, but the device is rather a cliche. The thirty-something character, unlucky in love, whose best friend is a flamboyant gay man who of course is sensitive, artistic, creative, etc., and also unlucky in love. (How many places have we seen this?) Of course, in my next novel I am finding myself again using the cliched character of the magical mentor who is African American, and I'm stuck on that--I think it's keeping me back from going forward with the work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?