Let's Clear This Up

With the popularity of "autism" (I mean that ironically, of course; it is a good thing that the condition is being better diagnosed and more discussed) has come a realization that people don't understand it.

I like to think myself better informed on it than most, since my brother has autism. He is very low-functioning, unlike some of the high-functioning, very intelligent persons with autism disorders that we hear about in media, such as Temple Grandin.

But somewhere people have gotten the idea that autistic persons are jerks. Thus, we read of the founder of Facebook, who is portrayed in a recent movie about him as manipulative, mean, and insensitive, "he probably has Asperger's."

Folks, Asperger's is not a new way to excuse people of being inhuman or inhumane. Study what the disorder is about. It's not a choice, for one thing, and it's not defined by personality. It's a brain disorder that has to do with perception. The behavior of Asperger's may seem odd and off-kilter, and I'm not saying a lot of folks may or may not have it. But don't assume.

It's the same with bipolar disorder. A person with a bad, uncontrolled temper does not have bipolar. He or she has just learned that acting that way will get him/her what is wanted. That person is exhibiting a learned behavior, not living with a chemical disorder.

I say this with some guilt, having done it myself out of ignorance and because yesterday I began taking a medication for panic attacks, which I have been getting the last few years in front of audiences (again, ironic since I teach public speaking and never had the problem before), in crowds, and when driving. I am not happy about the medication, although the jury is still out. The panic attacks started a few years ago, probably an age thing. I would prefer a spiritual solution to the problem, and of course will not stop praying or expecting greater spiritual strength for the panic attacks, which are debilitating and not understood by those who don't have them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?