Money and the Church

I find it easy to get a very bad attitude, very quickly, about how money is discussed in the church. Our church is having a second push this year about giving. I really don't see this in Scripture. Giving is an outgrowth of spiritual maturity, not a guilt trip. I am not saying my church is making it a guilt trip--I think the leadership's heart is in the right place, but I struggle with the following:
1. There are so many parachurch organizations doing great work, who need the money, and are doing what the church should be but isn't--Prison Fellowship, World Vision, Moody, Camps.
2. I don't see anything about storehouse tithing in the New Testament. At all.
3. I do read in Ephesians, "Work so you have something to give to those in need." Our giving is supposed to meet human need and the advance of the gospel, but not a big church staff.
4. Do we always know where the money goes in the church? I know that the biggest part of an organization's budget always goes to salaries. See #3.
5. People have understandable concerns about the economy right now.
6. The Bible also tells us to save money.
7. I don't like to see the staff of my church living better than the majority of the people in the pews.
7. And the biggest struggle: my own cussed selfishness. Let's be honest--1-7 have some validity, but ultimately giving is a heart issue. Some day someone else will own everything I now "own"--so why be so grasping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?