Some Recent Movies

I had the house to myself last weekend and watched five DVDs.

1. Temple Grandin. Excellent view of how this brilliant woman who suffers from autism has experienced the world. But I confess I got tired of the cows in the second part.

2. That Evening Sun. Hard to watch--very Cormac McCarthy-ish--but well acted and thoughtful story of aging, revenge, hatred, and bitterness. At one point in the height of the conflict, the old man, played by Hal Holbrook, says, "Only Jesus Christ can fix this mess." As the movie progresses, we see how true that is and wish devoutly that the characters had let it be so.

3. Me and Orson Welles. Now, I am not a fan of Zac Efron, who is just too pretty. But this is an interesting look at a point in theatrical and movie history, when Orson Welles was gathering his groupies (actors) at the Mercury Theatre while he was doing radio and was preparing to go to Hollywood. They are all working on an avant garde production of Julius Caesar (shortened, modern dress) and Efron, a kid who wants to be an actor, wanders up to them one day and has a stroke of luck to be cast in the play. What struck me about this movie is that the actor playing Welles is uncanny in his portrayal, and that the actors around him defined obsequious. Why did they put up with the jerk? Were they riding his coattails to Hollywood and success? (I only heard of Joseph Cotten, who is portrayed in this movie). It reminded me, however, of Christians who suck up to charismatic pastors and speakers, getting some kind of jollies from being around a famous person. Oh, well.

Interestingly, I watch Citizen Kane last night again, a movie I can watch several times and see something different. Last night I noticed how gothic it is.

4. Ghostwriter. Great setup. Strange ending. Massive plotholes. Annoying political message. I didn't realize it was Roman Polanski; I wouldn't have rented it if I had known. I don't need a rapist preaching morality at me.

5. Pollock. Another hard to watch movie, this one about an artist's rise and disintegration. But I did learn something and gained some appreciation for his painting--it is far more textured than I realized. But why do artists have to be some royal jerks?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?