A word from Nooma

For those who don't know, Nooma DVDs are little programs by Rob Bell. Rob Bell is an interesting character. I don't want to state something about him and his doctrinal position that is not true, so I'll just say that I find him provocative. I previewed a Nooma DVD the other night for use with our BCM group this week.

It was about time management. He pointed out that Jesus did not do everything that people asked him to do. This morning our pastor spoke on Mark 8, and it became very clear in that text how right Rob Bell is on that point. Jesus was not a circus performer, although the Pharisees et al wanted him to be. Show us a sign, they say, on our cue. No, I won't, Jesus says, after he has just miraculously fed 4,000 Gentiles (in contrast to the 5,000 plus Jews in an earlier chapter). For the Pharisees and even his disciples, it's as if whatever Jesus did was never enough. More, more, they say. Our way! No thanks, Jesus responds. I am calling the shots.

I am reminded of C.S. Lewis' Narnia tale, I think it's either Voyage of the Dawntreader or the first one about Caspian, where the two children (not the Peavensies at this point) are trying to get Aslan to let them back into Narnia. One suggests they make a circle and stand in it and say some words. The other says, "I don't think it works this way;" Lewis is implying, I think, that humans view prayer that way, as bending God, as do Satanists--say a few words and cast a spell to get what you want. Of course, it's better in the original. It always in, especially when it comes to Lewis.

But back to the issue: Bell's point is that Jesus has his own agenda, or rather, the Father's agenda, and even in the face of pressing needs, the gospels state "he was moving toward Jerusalem" over and over again. "Jesus could say no because he first said yes." is Bell's epigram to this.

That is sticking with me. We can't say "no"--to sin, to the temptation to be overbusy, to please people and self, to anything bad for us--until we say a solid and permanent "yes" to God. And that is where I am.

I struggle with overcommitment, saying yes because it seems like a good idea at the time, being interested in too many things that just suck the life out of me, being distracted, and trying to please people. All that because I haven't said yes to the one or two main things God wants out of me. So those two main things suffer.

Of course, any comparison of our lives to Jesus' on earth eventually comes short; we just can't measure up. But that doesn't change the principle.

Say yes first. Then no gets really easy.

Time management has usually been a list of methods for getting more done in a day. I'm good at that. I have my Franky planner! But the satisfaction from getting all that done in one day fades really, really fast. It's gone by the next morning when I have another list to get through (and boy, can I make lists! I am a first-class list maker.) Time management also tells us how to relieve stress, handle stress, displace stress, etc. Why don't we just get rid of the reasons for the stress in the first place! Most of what we put on ourselves that stresses us have absolutely no value-added. I would like to think that by now I would know that. It's a long journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?