Almost exactly how I feel

This article by Lynne Hybels (of Willow Creek Church fame) resonates with me and a lot of people, but only partially.  Christmastime is special and we can't let it become unspecial.  We just have to find the way that what we are doing to celebrate it is productive and meaningful, not just reminiscent of a hamster running on a wheel in a cage.
http://blog.christianitytoday.com/women/2010/12/lynne_hybels_my_lazy_christmas.html

I have been noticing a lot of rhetoric about downsizing Christmas, should Christians even celebrate it, etc.  Come on people.  Let your moderation be known unto all men, Paul said.  Not "let your Scroogey abstinence from everything human and fun and celebratory be known unto all men."

Of course, this from a woman who on December 18 doesn't have her tree up yet and has determined not to be guilted into spending money I don't have, even on charities.    But all that will get done.  Perhaps that is the difference.  At 55 (as of yesterday) I realize that what needs to get done will more than likely get done, and if it doesn't, maybe it didn't need to be.  Sort of my idea of managing resources in a church.  If people won't step up to a ministry, maybe they don't want the ministry done.  God can call his servants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?