Just Checking In

I have been at the SACS convention in Louisville, Kentucky for the past four days. It was very informative for me since I am the QEP Committee Chair. The QEP is an interesting animal and I will forgo any comments on it until I feel that I understand the process--which might be in July of 2012 when ours is due. In short, I will say that I can see the value of the QEP but I also think it uses up too many resources--manhours, financial, psychological, and emotional. I am not sure a cost-benefit analysis has been done.

If you don't know what QEP is about, don't worry. Nobody but higher ed folks cares.

Louisville is an interesting city. My two colleagues and I stayed at the Brown Hotel, which was quite enjoyable. The Brown was the setting for some of the movie Elizabethtown in 2005. When I walked into the lobby I thought, "I have been here before" and asked if the hotel had been in a movie. My guess was right. That was pretty neat. We ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was wonderful. More pricey than I would normally pay, but a nice treat. I had lamb chops and creme brulee.

We had a bit of snow, off and on. Nice this morning--but very cold--but not nice Saturday--cold and wet. I saw a president of a college where I used to work and learned a great deal, mostly how much work we have to do.

The trip allowed me to reflect on some things. One is that this blog is not doing what it should. This is the Seinfeld of blogs--about nothing. Now, that's not how it started. It started being about communication. Then it got spiritual. Then it got literary and cinematic, when it wasn't being random and twitterish.

In reflecting on things, I realized I need to focus it more, stop just being opinionated, share relevant information, and lay off the narcissism. So I will try in the future to approach this with helpful articles, if I can't have a singular theme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?