Academy Awards?

The Academy Awards don't usually interest me, for a number of reasons.  If a movie is good, it's good.  I don't need someone else's validation.  But this year I am in the unique position of having seen six of the ten nominees for best picture.  Today I saw The Social Network at what we affectionately call the $2.00 movie (it's three now).  I guess it's the second run-almost to DVD theater, where there are often lines across the screen.  That's where I usually go because I'm cheap and don't want to pay $10.00. 

The Social Network was much better than I expected, and should probably get best screenplay because of the superb way the script is put together and the fantastic dialogue (very Sorkinesque).  The first scene is about as spot on as it could be.  But the movie was a downer, if for no other reason (and there were lots of reasons it was a downer) than that the future leaders of our country who go to Harvard are portrayed as a bunch of skanky females and narcissistic, socially immature men.  Also, there is no one in the movie to like, except maybe Eduardo; Larry Summers, president of Harvard, particularly comes off like a buffoon. 

The King's Speech is definitely the best, and it adds to its attraction by being a happy story, even a spiritual one.  I was thankful for the sovereignty of God in history after it.  I figure it will win.

My second pick would be Winter's Bone, which of course won't win because no one has seen it.  But it is remarkable.

Inception was excellent, too, as was True Grit, but they just aren't in the category of The King's SpeechToy Story 3 just didn't do it for me and I think it's just on the list because the list is too long now.  The other four I've missed, but maybe I'll try to see the Black Swan.  Not interested in a fellow who saws his arm off, sperm donation, or boxing this time around.

But as I say, I won't be watching the Awards ceremony or caring very much.  It's often a way for Hollywood to make a political statement--or a politically correct statement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?