Was Jesus the Model Teacher, Addendum

Last night I watched the first half of one of the best movies, by many accounts, Being There.  For film students, it's a must-see.  I had watched it before not knowing how great it was supposed to be but concluding that it was at the end.  (I get up very early to go to work and just couldn't stay up for the whole movie last night, sadly).  I see it more a parody of media than anything else, but that's a topic for debate.  Anyway, the most discussed scene is the last one, where the main character walks on water.


The movie is too complex for me to go into an adequate description now.  That would take me more time than I have and more effort than I want to expend.  From what I read, there are a few basic theories about what the last scene means.  One of them, of course, is that the film is a satire about Christ.  The foibles and successes of the main character (whom the film-goer knows the truth about but of course no one--save maybe the Black cook--knows anything about) are to be seen as a parallel to Christ, who said simple things that everyone makes a big deal about.

I find this view amusing, and yet sad.  It's sad because it means so many people miss what Christ was about and because they think they are in a position to compare Him to charlatans and simpletons.  I find it amusing for the same reason, because humans think they are in a position to evaluate Christ at all.   The same would be true of us trying to figure out if He was the model teacher.  Since one third of the world's population claim to follow His teachings and example, any puny blogger's opinions and keytaps are pretty insignificant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?