Is the World Going Crazy?

I have not been posting, except my Sunday School lessons, and will continue not to until after Easter.  However, the urge just got too much for me and I have given in to writing down some not-so-random thoughts.

The title of this post just reflects how I feel about the so-called news that I see on the Internet, TV, or newspaper.  We are bombing Libya but do not know who the rebels against Quadaffi, or Gaddafi, or whatever his name is, are.  One thousand or more have been slaughtered in Ivory Coast, who knows why; similar killings are going on in Syria, and of course Gaddafi had been murdering his own people.  The only place where chaos doesn't seem to be is in Japan, where the Japanese people are trying to cope despite seeming incompetence in their leadership over this nuclear threat.

We have a Congress that can't make a budget and a president whose decision-making perplexes me and his own party.

And people are seriously talking about Donald Trump being president!  Deliver us!  Does anyone remember Marla Maples (she was from Resaca, Georgia--a place even we around here make fun of!).  Does anyone remember how often he has gone bankrupt?  His management style is to fire people.  But he does have the rhetoric down.  Can you say demagogue?

And then we have the rampant violence in the middle East,and now some of it is over the burning of a Q'uran.  Why kill people who have nothing to do with the act of burning?  I can remotely envision avenging the by doing something to the person who did it.  Now, don't misunderstand that, I didn't say I understand it, I just can see some perverted logic in avenging the act on the perpetrator.  But why just raising H--- ten thousand miles away and killing whoever comes in one's path.  This is insanity.

Speaking of H---, I am also amazed at the craziness now over Rob Bell's book.  Does he think he is saying something new, fresh, or really helpful?  These are old, old debates.  As I have said before, Jesus wins, not Love.   Would he suggest that Mother Teresa spends eternity in the same place as Hitler?  (I know, I know, I'm missing the argument, there's a lot more theology to the issue, and I'm aware of that.)  The foolishness of the contemporary Christian mind boggles mine.  I ordered Mark Noll's book, The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind, and look forward to reading it, although it will probably just depress me. 

On that same line, a speaker at our church recently had the--I don't know what to call it--to name a contemporary figure as the anti-Christ.  I was appalled; I think most of the church who knew who the figure is were appalled, or at least annoyed, too.  He backtracked a little, but the damage was done.  

On the flip side, the weather was beautiful this weekend, I wore myself out gardening, I finished my first James Patterson novel (and last for a while--a good read but trashy, and I don't need help there), and my dog has taken over our existence.   Church today was wonderful and we celebrated the Lord's table.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?