Christian Thinkers

In the last two days, I have heard the expression "Christian thinkers" twice--well, I read it once, in Scot McKnight's book, in reference to Andy Crouch, and from Charles Colson, in reference to the people who work with him at Breakpoint.  Now, I would not want to counter anything these gentlemen say, especially Colson, who is one of my heroes, but what in the world is a "Christian thinker?"

Aren't we all supposed to be Christian thinkers?  what qualifies one as a Christian thinker?

I am reminded of the Wizard of Oz, when the Wizard gives the scarecrow a diploma in "thinkology," so he will believe he has a brain. 

I know, I know, you get to be called a Christian thinker if you write books and porbably if you have a certain number of academic degreees.  Hey, I've done that, does that make me a Christian thinker?

We are all Christian thinkers if we are Christians and if we think.  Of course, not a lot of us do.  We feel, we act, we emote, we opionionate, but I'm not sure how much we truly think

It occurred to me the other day that we have freedom of belief in this country (not in the constitution, but the Supreme Court has defined it as such) and we have freedom of expression, but do we have freedom of "feeling?"  Often we preface our statements with "I feel."  I really wish we wouldn't do that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?