Eternity in our Hearts

One of my favorite verses in in Ecclesiastes:  3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.


"Eternity in their hearts."  I believe this is the reason behind most of the art, literature, music, religion, and accomplishments of human history.  

I believe it is what accounts for that most human of emotions, yearning.  We know, deep down, we will live forever.  Death will not finish us.  As C. S. Lewis wrote, "You have never spoken to a mere mortal."  But how we will live after death is what separates us in so many ways.  


The news reports about Steve Jobs said that he was thinking about the afterlife at the end of his life.  He said he was 50/50 about it.  Well, now he knows.  I think the value of Steve Jobs is that he teaches us that innovation and entrepreneurship creates wealth and is one of the best ways to save humanity.  I, however, have no interest in his products.  I am perfectly happy without apps and gadgets, but am of course in the minority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?