Wall-E

I do not watch television much.  I have gotten interested in Person of Interest, but all the episodes I have watched are on the Internet because I refuse to work my schedule around television.  But last night, since it was Thanksgiving and I was utterly exhausted from two days of cooking and cleaning (my house looks great, thanks mostly to husband and son, and the food was excellent, if I do say so myself), I sat in the recliner and watched, patiently, Wall-E on ABC Family.

Comments:  There were probably 2/3 as much time for commercial as there was for the movie.  For every ten minutes of movie, there was probably six minutes of commercials.  And of course they were largely for Black Friday, a holiday I do not celebrate.  I did find the Patrick Warburton Honda commercials funny, but he's just funny period.  I found it extremely ironic that Walmart was sponsoring the showing of a movie that is basically a send-up of Walmart!

Comment 2:  What is up with ABC Family?  I saw a lot on there that was not family-oriented.  And then at the end there is a program for CBN or Pat Robertson which is prefaced with "ABC Family does not approve of this show."  Well, duh. 

Finally, thoughts about Wall-E.  Charming for the most part, although I don't know why they had to get their dig in about Bush, "Stay the course."  It got way too hyper at the end, too, and my middle-aged brain couldn't follow all of it.  Otherwise, delightful,  and extremely convicting.  I am spending today sitting at a laptop grading and writing and researching--sedentary as the "humans" in the movie, and the rest of America is apparently shopping--the whole reason the earth becomes uninhabitable in the movie.  My house is filled with items that we use occasionally but are choking us; we are the fledgling plants choked by riches in the parable of the good soil; our spiritual growth is choked by all this stuff.  We have one room that is devoted to STUFF, dog crates, and legal papers.  No one can sleep in there but we have STUFF.

I did not participate in Samaritan's Purse this year because I didn't want to send a bunch of stuff made in China overseas.  I support their humanitarian efforts otherwise, but I don't think the poor in the developing world needs our stuff.  Ooh, that is low, isn't it? 

Then, of course, the movie lampoons our obesity and lack of personal relationships; no one in the movie actually talks to any one directly except through a machine. 

As usual, Lasseter and Pixar hit a homerun.  I am not crazy about all their movies personally (rats in a kitchen!), but all of them are imaginative.  The end credits of Wall-E alone are wonderful for a humanities prof. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?