Human Creativity

I am fascinated by the subject of creativity.  What I must remember is that creativity is
  • not bound to the arts
  • not necessarily lucrative 
  • won't necessarily get you noticed
  • a gift from God because of his nature within us
  • to be enjoyed
I find creative in many places; I liked to be surprised by it.  Today I heard of an album title:  "The stars are indifferent to astronomy."  That is so apt, and reminded me of the Walt Whitman poem, "When I heard the learned astronomer." (below) A poet in my writers' group has a line "I looked for the ocean where it should have been."  So much there.  Creativity makes something that hits us immediately and yet stays with us and that we stay with, trying to plumb its depths.

I don't consider myself creative, even though I write fiction.  I consider myself more of an observer and recorder; it just that I record human experience in a different order than where it might have happened.

WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer; 
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; 
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; 
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room, 
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;         5
Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, 
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, 
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. 
   
As can be seen, I have returned to blogging after three weeks off.  I come back hoping I will get more attention to this blog than spammers from Russia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?