Why I don't do Yoga (although I'd sort of like to)

Yesterday this story ran on NPR. 

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=150352063&m=150406649

I am not going to pretend to be a Hindu when I'm not.  This story on NPR says what I've been concerned about all along.  Yoga is not supposed to be divorced from its roots.  Since I don't plan to become a vegetarian, and live the rest of the Hindu/yoga lifestyle, I'll stick with what minimal fitness program I have.

That fitness program is walking, ideally 1.5 to 2 miles a day, usually with my dog.  Tonight my dog was a total pill when I walked here, but I got my time in.  Walking is touted as the best all around exercise other than swimming, which has its downsides and inconveniences.  Walking seems to me to have parallels with the faith I do practice, Christianity.  Jesus was peripatetic, not someone who sat under a tree for long periods of time.  He went to people, instead of waiting for them to come to him.  He did miracles and spread goodness.  Consequently, we "walk" in this world; we have a "walk." 

This is not to say yoga has no health benefits; I know it does, and that's why it's attractive to people.  I'm just not convinced we can separate ourselves out philosophically.  Jesus said that the first commandment, Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul, and with all your strength (which I take as physical strength, your body).    Love him holistically, not by segmenting out your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?