Person of Interest, Avenging Heros, and Christ

OK, there is a weird irony or connection here.  The only TV show I watch (or did last season) was Person of Interest.  I am hooked.  I started watching it because Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson are in it.  Emerson was so good and creepy in LOST.  The last scene, when Hurley invites him into the "reunion" which I took as some sort of ecumenical heaven, and Ben Linus says no, I can't go in, was so touching and spiritual.  He knew his sins against them separated him from them and he couldn't accept forgiveness, like Javert in Les Miserables.)  And of course, Jim Caviezel just gets attention by virtue of playing Jesus so well and being a generally good actor and also living his faith as a Catholic. 

The character he plays in POI saves people, in a sense, but in doing so JC (oh, my) has to sin, kill people, etc. against their captors or potential murderers.  This is very similar to a movie my son made me watch the other day, Drive, with Ryan Gosling (he of the Internet meme).  In that movie Gosling plays an almost comatose young mechanic who moonlights as a driver of getaway cars because he can drive so coolly.  He befriends a young woman and her son whose dad/husband is in jail.  The husband comes home and that sets off a series of events that I don't need to get into here, but Gosling ends up having to kill several people to protect the girl and child, and even he himself is )probably) dead in the end. 

The idea that a protector must kill to do his job is also played out in Batman, which of course is written by the Nolans, like POI. 

We have a savior who can protect without killing others.  That is something to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?