Man's Inhumanity to God

Tennessee Williams wrote some great plays.  He also walked the fringes of the bizarre in his plays, but the three that stand out to me in humanity and quality are The Glass Menagerie (of course), A Streetcar Named Desire, and The Night of the Iguana (Cat is interesting, too).  In The Night of the Iguana, the film version, Richard Burton as the defrocked Episcopalian priest who is just plain losing it talks about "Man's inhumanity to God."  It's a great speech, as are some others in those plays.

I couldn't help but think of that line last night when listening to (while I ironed and otherwise took care of homemaking chores) to George Zimmerman being interviewed by Hannity (not one of my favorites, to say the least, but I wanted to hear what Zimmerman had to say).  I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt--not that it matters, since I won't be on his jury--since the supposed news media blows things out of proportion and distorts them, including the racial reactions.  I also refused to believe OJ was guilty until several years after his trial, and I don't believe Casey Anthony killed that baby.  But I digress. .  .

So I was trying to give GZ the benefit of the doubt and he says, "I don't regret what I did . . . It was God's plan."

What?

Are you kidding me?

Is this some sort of freaky spiritualization?  Is this to make the stupid Christians feel sorry for him (try again, Bud).  When all else fails, blame God.  Perhaps this will be a new line of defense.  "You can't hold him guilty, jury, it was predestined!"

The Martin family was not happy with this, as one could imagine, and don't believe his apologies are sincere.  I don't blame them.  While I do not doubt GZ was in a fight with Trayvon and was overcome psychologically and physically, he shouldn't have been out there in the first place.  But the past is past; a young man is dead.  The mystery of God's sovereignty does not allow itself to be a legal defense.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?