Office Depot vs. Chick-Fil-A

Interesting situation.  The Office Depot and the Chick-Fil-A in the town near me are within a block of each other.  I planned tomorrow to go to Chick-Fil-A not so much to support Dan Cathy (he doesn't need my money) but to make a statement about free speech (although I think he may have overstated his case.  I also think it's funny that people are saying he was "bullied" when he will probably make a lot more money out of this deal!).

I was running errands today and had to go into Office Depot.  I immediately became aware that getting some ink refills and sending a fax (I spent about $10) was now a matter of conscience, or violating my conscience, or something in that area.  All over Office Depot were signs about "Born this Way" and "Be Brave" and something about Lady Gaga.

Now, I'm acting ignorant, because I know what this is about, but I imagine most people going into Office Depot to get their kids some school supplies will either be confused or taken in by this "campaign."  Their children might get a bracelet about being brave and the parent will have no idea that the underlying message is "Be brave in the face of homophobia" because you were "born this way."

There is a lot I could say about the whole Lady Gaga message thing, but that's not the point here.  The point is, if I don't want any portion of my purchase price for those ink refills to go to Lady Gaga (like SHE needs my money?), where am I supposed to go?  Why is buying an ink refill a political or philosophical act?  What is Office Depot thinking, anyway?  It was all I could do to keep from making a smart remark to the sales associates, hoping they would say something to their bosses and up the ladder, but I held my tongue, since they are just kids who work there and don't need my snarky attitude.

When the Black community in Montgomery engaged in a bus boycott in 1955 and '56, it was a sacrifice.  Those folks had to walk.  They paid the price for their boycott, and it made a difference, but it was hard won.  If I don't like Office Depot's flaunting of this Lady Gaga's nonsense, I am inconvenienced because I have to get my refills somewhere else.  No big deal.  Or, I can go eat a chicken sandwich fried in peanut oil with a pickle (they are good); again, hardly a sacrifice.

I watched a news conference today of some African American pastors who are standing against gay marriage; they were pretty vociferous.  It is so hard to talk about this topic rationally.  I'm not sure it's possible.

As for me, I say let gays have some kind of legal status so that they can leave each other money, give each other custody of children (if needed), enter into contracts, etc.  But don't call it marriage. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Well said.

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?