Pop Songs Revisited

There is a pop song that has been around for years, at least since the '70s.  I hear it on the oldies station in Chattanooga, 107.8 FM (thankfully they brought it back!  It's my refuge from the alternative music on the NPR station and preachers on the Christian ones.)  You know the one:

I'm not talking about mumble mumble mumble
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowing the stars around
And I really want to see you tonight.

OK, for years I have wondered what those words are at the end of the first line of the chorus.  The best I could do was Meridian (?).  But last night I heard it and was determined to hear the words, so I turned the volume up and listened hard.  "I'm not talking about millenia."  Yes, that's it.  He doesn't want to spend millenia with the girl.  I was so proud.

Well, maybe.  I came home and decided to google the third line (it's rather a nice image).  I found the lyrics and even watched a youtube of the original singers, Dan England and John Ford Coley (looking very 70ish).

I'm not talking about movin' in. . . .

"Movin' in?"  Is that what he has been singing?  I asked my husband at breakfast what he had always thought the words were.  He didn't know either.  "It's movin' in," I said.  We agreed that the singer was deliberately slurring the words to cover the reference to cohabitation back in the '70s. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?