The Big Issues

I see these as the four or five big issues that separate the church and the world.  They must continue to, I think.  We will only stand as the church if we stay distinct, whether it means persecution or not.  People are not attracted to a church that stands for nothing.  And as the old saying goes, those who stand for nothing will fall for anything (as in the occult and paranormal).

Creation vs. evolution.  Let me say here that I am not a young earth creationist (that view makes little sense to me).  I think we take some aspects of Gen. 1-11 literally when we are not supposed to.  But by no means does that mean that evolution--euphemistically called gradual creation by some--makes any sense to me either.  Why would God use so much death to do what he could have done quickly?  And how do you have a fall if there is evolution?  did the species evolve to a point where it was sentient enough to have the propensity for temptation and then turn from God?

I have another question that is related to this.  Why are fossil fuels bad for the environment if they are based on organic matter?  And if there is so much oil on the planet, how many fossils were there?

Second, suffering.  I don't have a quick one for that.  We suffer because of natural disasters, we suffer because people are evil to each other (the fall), and we suffer because of disease (the fall).

Third, the identity of Christ.

Fourth, the meaning of the cross.  This is more hotly debated than most nonscholars understand.  I do not quite get all of it but the doctrine is being attacked.

Fifth, the place of sexuality in our culture.

At least racism is not central.  We have gotten it into our thick skulls that skin color is irrelevant to spirituality.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very well written post. It will be valuable to anybody who utilizes it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing – for sure i will check out more posts.
Thank you. You can use the archive button to see what I've written about in the past.

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?