Great -- and Wrong-- Expectations

On my Kindle I am reading this fabulous Dickens tale.  What's wrong with writing today is that we don't read enough Dickens.  But that is not the point of this post.

Last night, against my better judgment, I had Hannity on TV.  Not a fan.  Strident, one-note, almost megalomaniac opposition to Obama.  The point of the show was to review/dissect/promote a documentary called "The Hope and The Change."  It is about people who voted for Obama talking about how disappointed they are and how they won't vote for him again.

Well, my response to this is just plain "Duh."  I have three levels of criticism on this.

1.  Anybody who voted for Obama in 2008 and is whining now should just plain be ashamed and not have the nerve to get on a movie and be seen.  Those persons did not have the critical thinking skills to look at who Obama was then and is now.  The facts were there.  His political positions were not hidden.  They were taken in by white guilt, his charm, and his ability to give a speech.  They projected what they wanted onto a blank canvas.  They got what they deserved.

People are blaming Obama for "not keeping his promises."  What promises?  To fundamentally transform America?  Yeah, he's doing that.  You just heard one thing and not what he was actually saying.

Take responsibility for your choices.  Repent, don't blame.  If you drink to excess, don't blame the liquor bottle.  Blame yourself.

2.  More to the point, the people were such whiners.  "I have to live on a budget now."  Oh, my word!  A budget?  How awful!  "I have to tell my children we can't afford that."  Oh, what a tragedy.  I was getting nauseous. 

Now, I know it's been hard for many people.  The lack of jobs has hit us, too.  But living on a budget and not giving your children everything they want is not hardship.  Secondly, we got into this situation, partially, by people buying houses they couldn't afford and running up credit card debt living beyond their means.

3.  Finally, where in the world did we get the idea that the president is some kind of savior?  This is what bothers me the most.  The president is not a king.  He is not a god.  He is not a Messiah.  Read the ever-loving constitution.  There are limits to power.  The real problem is Congress and Obama's relationship to Congress and Congress's inaction (especially the Senate).

Now, all that said, I want him out of office as much as the next person.  I don't care about whether or not he kept his promises--I didn't like his promises in the first place, so I'd rather he didn't keep them.  But I have so many disagreements with him on every level, and I believe that he is so toxic to our country, that I pray daily that we are rescued from him.  BUT, that's not the real issue.  The problem is us.  The problem is our selfishness and wrong expectations.  The problem is our lack of understanding the constitution.  The problem is our misplaced blame.

The problem is in ourselves, Horatio, not in our stars.
  

Comments

drgregb said…
Hi Barbara

I saw the "2016: Obama" movie/documentary this week. D'Souza paints a picture of Obama as an anti-colonialist, and hating America's colonialist past (and present)... Through that 'grid,' a lot of Obama's actions and words are interpreted by d'Souza. It's a well-done documentary, but the bias is too strong, and it will not be viewed by obama-lovers, and I fear will turn off even 'independents.' Will you see it?
Greg
I'm thinking about it. It's here, at a couple of theatres. Timing is a big thing for me right now. I am reading one of DD's books not the one of Obama). I know the argument but would like to see it. Like you, I doubt very many Obama-lovers would take it in.

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?