Advent Thoughts, #24

Close to the virtue of reverence is fear.

No one likes to talk about fear as a Christian experience nowadays, yet it is one of the most prevalent emotions and reactions in Scripture.

Fear is human; it is a legitimate reaction to the glory of God.  Who are we not to fear God in His majesty?  Give me a break.  If we really understood it, we'd cower.  Which is the point.  God wants us to know fear so He can assure us we have nothing to fear.  That may should dumb, but how can know freedom from fear if we don't have fear in the first place?  How can we know forgiveness from sin if we don't feel guilt and shame first? 

The message of Christmas is fear not, which only makes sense if we start with fear.

I used to dislike Christmas, even dread its coming.  In the last few years I am doing better.  My reasons were stupid and childish, rooted in early trauma and to be honest, a concern over money..  Because I knew that dread, the freedom from it is even sweeter.  I am not to the point where everything about it entrances me (I can be a curmudgeon about decorations), but I enjoy it much more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?