Advent Thoughts, #4

When I was much younger I took personality inventories that told me I was introverted.  Because of my job and because of some bad experiences that made me determine never to be taken advantage of again and to be assertive, I purposefully changed, so now on the Myers Briggs I am considered an ENTJ:  Extroverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging.  However, I still need my downtime.  A recent book, Quiet, validates introverts in an extrovert-valuing world.  It's a good read (although it is probably telling that I haven't finished it yet; being an extrovert means you might have less time for reading!)

Our world is not quiet, especially at Christmas.    Always music.  Lots of talking.  Busy-ness.  Yet how I long for quiet.  The Christmas story is one of quiet.  A long journey, a silent night, solitude punctuated only by a choir of angels (whom we assume to be loud, but why?  Could angels sing quietly as well as loudly?)

Why not celebrate the value of quiet at Christmas, and celebrate the holiday in quiet?  Would there be a shame or crime in that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?