Advent Thoughts, #6

I think I am caught up.  This is the sixth day of Advent, right?  or seventh?

All my life I have heard the two competing themes of Christmas:  buy, buy, buy, make it a wonderful holiday for all by consumerism, help the economy, get the best gifts for people you can, blah, blah, blah.  The other theme of course is "remember the spiritual, focus on the real meaning of Christmas (which is alternately love, grace, God's power, salvation, peace, joy, good will toward men, harmony, etc.),  don't get caught up in the materialism, give to charities instead of family and friends, and don't indulge the flesh by eating too much.  (Not a big problem for me because I'm not a fan of traditional Christmas food, although I eat plenty in general.)

I don't know if there is a way to reconcile the two, to find balance.  I have not bought most of my presents (which consist of gift cards, to be honest) but I don't want anything for Christmas, truly.  My  house is overstuffed and the only thing that separates me from hoarders is cleanliness and organization (sort of).  I even hoard presents to give people at Christmas or for weddings (anybody needs some Pampered Chef?  some Cutco?  some Avon?)  I hoard books I don't have time to read because of getting ready for Christmas and typing on this blog!

I don't think we should be made to feel guilty for giving, at anytime.  My sending a check to the mission at Christmas can be just as self-serving as buying a present for my niece, or just as sacrificial.  It's the thought that counts should be "it's the heart that counts," and we don't get to see hearts, thankfully. 

As mentioned before, I am an ENTJ in Myers Briggs terminology.  The last word is Judging--I can be very judgmental, which also means I have a strong sense of justice, so there are two sides to the J coin.  But I am learning, and I don't get to judge a person's heart in their giving.  Nor does anyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?