Advent Thoughts, #7

I have a Facebook account I check everyday, several times on some days.  (Actually I have two, but one I don't use much).  I have a Twitter account that I haven't used in months, although now that I have an iPhone there might be more activity.  I am on Linked In, Google Plus, have two blogs, teach online (which means using three different websites with passwords), and have five email accounts.  I have a number of logins for work responsibilities.  That should be enough connectivity for one person, right?

Today, out of curiosity, I looked at Pinterest, but refrained from getting an account on that.  Some woman are quite addicted to it, and it looks like a visual fantasy land.  I was reminded of I John 5, "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life."  The visualness of Pinterest could really appeal to the lust of the eyes. 

There's my J coming out again, sorry.  I wonder how much time a day I spend looking at all my online activity, instead of . . . . living?

Advent reminds us of a world with only one kind of connectivity for most people, and maybe two for a fortunate few.  You either learned what you learned face-to-face or you read it.  No other media; media wa "immediate," in a sense.  Mary did not get an email message about the incarnation; it was smack dab in her face with an angel, no mistaking, no choice but to fall on your knees and believe. 

I often hear in discussions of organizational problems that we have a communication problem, which usually means whoever is sending the messages is not doing it right.  No, I'm pretty convinced we have a listening problem.  John Stott said that the missing ingredient of discipleship is listening.  A simple thought, but very profound. 

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, and open the ears of my mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?