Silver Linings Playbook

Because of my doctoral work, I have given off movies, but last week on a day of torrential rain, I went to see the above mentioned movie because, well, because it was only three dollars, I had finished a big project, I wanted to see Jennifer Lawrence in a different role from "Winter's Bone" (great movie) and I had heard it was good.

It is.  Mainly for me, it is an honest portrayal of bipolar disorder.  At one point the main character, Pat, says, "all my life I just whiteknuckled it, but now I know what's wrong."  I saw that with my husband.  Pat does so many things in this movie that I have watched and lived through that it was like watching my own life.  The movie walks the line between playing the mental illness for tears and playing it for laughs.  We are allowed to have empathy for the characters but also know we wouldn't want to live with them!  Of course, the characters look too good, but hey, it's Hollywood.  No ugly people allowed.  Yeah, the bet part was a big overdone, but I overlooked it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?