Imaginary Friendship

Have we let modern life bar us from friendship?  And are Christians the worst at it?

I have been thinking about this since yesterday morning.  My SS class decided to watch a Beth Moore series this summer (it's easier on the teachers to take a break in the summer).  It's John the Beloved Disciple.  I have written about Beth Moore elsewhere, and nothing in this post should be taken as criticism of her or her ministry.  She has been given, and carries, a wonderful ministry that most of us could not.  She leans on the emotional side a bit too much for me, but she is a student of the word.  So, with that out of the way, let me get to the point.

She was talking about how a woman who listens to her videos wrote and said that Beth was her best friend even though they had never met.  And Beth had some gracious things to say about that.  However, I looked at my other classmates and said, "I understand what she is saying, but that is really sad to me."  I got some agreement, although uncomfortable.

Why would someone think that a person who is really just a media personality, a celebrity, is their friend? what would lead them to that kind of delusion?  Has she been rejected by so many people because of appearance, or personality, or disability, or mental illness?  Is she extremely introverted and not able to get out in public?  Has her experience with the church been that Jesus is a friend but no one else is interested in friendship, at least not with someone like her?  And has she not read Prov. 18:24, "He who has friends must show himself friendly"? 

I feel it could be a mix of all four.  My experience in the church is that people can be extremely cliquish and only superficially interested in others.  They want to be around the cool people, as if they hadn't grown past high school.

Friendship is not a contest, not a way to validate ourselves as cool and influential.  While we will not click with everyone, I strongly believe we are doing a really crappy job of establishing friendships and being the friend our faith calls us to be.  No one should have to consider a video Bible teacher their best friend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?